Friday, April 25, 2014

When the freedom haters condemn you, you're doing something right.

Greenwald: Rep. King's Condemnation A 'Badge Of Honor' (Click here to read more)

Caitlin MacNeal - April 20, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT3167

Glenn Greenwald, who won a Pulitzer for his reporting on National Security Agency surveillance practices, responded Rep. Peter King (R-NY), who said the Pulitzer committee's decision to give Greenwald the Public Service award a "disgrace."
.
"I think of Peter King's condemnation as an enormous badge of honor," Greenwald said in an interview with CNN's "Reliable Sources" that aired on Sunday.
.
"That's just part of, I think, what journalism is," he continued. "If you want to be adversarial to those who wield power, you have to expect that those who wield power aren't going to like what you're doing very much. And not only doesn't that bother me, I see that as a vindication that what I'm doing is the right thing."
.
CNN host Brian Stelter asked Greenwald whether the Pulitzer was trying to make a statement by giving the award to the Guardian and the Washington Post for their NSA coverage.
.
"I think it made a statement, whether that was their intent or not, I don't know," Greenwald responded. "I assume it was. The people on the committee are long-time journalists, and presumably interested in defending basic press freedoms."

No comments: