Sunday, January 13, 2013

More on Gun control

I have a lot of "friends" on Facebook who aren't really friends. We've connected through game playing or through other friends and I've never actually met most of my hundreds of "friends." And apparently, a lot of these "friends" are what I refer to as "gun nuts" because they are rabidly opposed to any sort of gun control and they are also nuts. They create a strawman, rant and rave in great fear and panic over what happens if a burglar breaks into their home, or cry out in terror over the thought of tyranny striking America's shores. (Not sure what sort of tyranny they are frightened of, but they know the word, anyway.)

So, to my point.  I am seeing dozens of the images of the type I like to post here - single panel photos or cartoons with captions that attempt to make a point. Here's one I saw yesterday...


Now, if you're like me, you immediately see some problems with the logic and reasoning here. First and foremost, the President of the United States, a target of world wide terrorists and even a target within his own country from racists and others opposing his political views, is deserving of some high powered protection. Some housewife from suburban Blue Balls PA hardly needs such protection, unless, of course, she is an international world figure.

Secondly, the weapon used in the image is a pistol. No one, anywhere, in any of the multiple articles I've read about impending gun control proposals, is talking the position that pistols should be taken out of the hands of responsible citizens of the USA. Now I WOULD like to see them kept out of the hands of mental patients, ex-cons, criminals, terrorists, and all sorts of bad people, but not out of the hands of the everyday gun nut.

So what is the point? How do you argue with this lady (and more of this crap is posted by women on FB than by men, or so it seems to me, surprisingly enough.) You can't. She has a point to make and compromise is clearly out of the question. That's what makes America so difficult to navigate these days - the intransigence of the stupid and weak minded. Damn.

No comments: