Thursday, March 03, 2011

CNN is going down the tubes

Since I've retired, I've spent quite a bit of time watching news on TV. It's not unusual for me to check on the news 2 or 3 times a day - never for very long, but just to see what the headlines might be. And for the longest time, my station of choice was CNN - I thought their newscasts were balanced and fair - but not anymore.


CNN's interviews are just opportunities for whatever politician they have on to offer up his/her insane views without any challenge whatsoever.  The news people are either totally uninformed, unprepared or just unwilling to challenge outright lies and misleading data, and seldom are opposing views given equal time.  There must be a market for these talking-heads segments wherein the "experts" that are invited on are allowed to shout at each other, but I, for one, do not like it.  I want to see reasoned, fact-based debate.


And I think I'm not alone.  The following clip is from Hillary Clinton, Secretary of State...


“In fact viewership of al Jazeera is going up in the United States because it’s real news. You may not agree with it, but you feel like you’re getting real news around the clock instead of a million commercials and, you know, arguments between talking heads and the kind of stuff that we do on our news which, you know, is not particularly informative to us, let alone foreigners,” she added.


No comments: