Sunday, February 22, 2009

Wealthy Jerks

The damage done by the freewheeling bankers and investors around the world is probably immeasurable. I know I think about the lost value of my retirement savings every time I read about our economic crisis, and I am just a small player in the investment world.

This story in Gawker is just one of the two suicides I've read about following the Madoff scandal...

William Foxton, a 65-year-old retired British military officer, shot himself in the head after losing his life's savings in Madoff's $50 billion moneysuck.

His son Willard told Britain's Sky News that his father was distraught, telling his son "I've lost all the money, I might have to declare myself bankrupt."

Willard added a statement of his own:

"I want Madoff and others involved to know that they have my father's blood on their hands."

No comments: