Thursday, September 07, 2006

On The Immigration Issue

I'm pretty liberal about most things in the political realm. I'm probably more conservative than many liberals, however, when it comes to the issue of immigration. The reason why is that I really, really don't think anyone (and that means the President as well - see the following post) should be allowed to break the law and get away with it.

If a law is a bad law, we should change it (legalization of small amounts of marijuana comes to mind), but we ought to obey the law. On the immigration issue, it isn't that I don't welcome Mexicans to the U.S., I just think we have the right to determine which Mexicans and how many enter our country every year.

I think we need to get the borders shut down to the wetbacks - and we need to do it yesterday. Once that issue is resolved, we need to begin dealing with the illegals and those who hire them here at home. The Wall Street Journal has an excellent summary of the situation in Washington as it pertains to the issue. You might want to give it a read.

No comments: