Sunday, September 17, 2006

The Inmates are in Charge

It's not just liberals who are driven to the point of utter frustration with the Bush administration - even Republicans are feeling a sense of foreboding - a sense that the nation is coming apart at the seams. The following piece comes from the Al Franken blog.


Christopher Buckley, son of conservative icon William Buckley, is jumping off the Republican bandwagon; his piece in The Washington Monthly:

"I voted for George W. Bush in 2000. In 2004, I could not bring myself to pull the same lever again. Neither could I bring myself to vote for John Kerry, who, for all his strengths, credentials, and talent, seems very much less than the sum of his parts. So, I wrote in a vote for George Herbert Walker Bush, for whom I worked as a speechwriter from 1981 to '83. I wish he'd won. . . .

"Who knew, in 2000, that 'compassionate conservatism' meant bigger government, unrestricted government spending, government intrusion in personal matters, government ineptitude, and cronyism in disaster relief? Who knew, in 2000, that the only bill the president would veto, six years later, would be one on funding stem-cell research? A more accurate term for Mr. Bush's political philosophy might be incontinent conservatism. . . ."

Read the whole piece here.

No comments: